This fabric is named "Pearl" because of its exceptional lustre. It's a soft, light weight silk fabric with excellent drape, along with a near-satin surface texture.
Both warp and weft yarns are smooth spun Ahimsa™ Peace silk. "Peace" silk is considered vegetarian-friendly silk, as it is from cocoons from which the moth has completed its transformation and emerges free and happy. For more information, read Cheryl's "About Peace Silk" article.
Cheryl Kolander, who is Aurora Silk has been promoting the idea of PEACE silk since her 1985 article published in Fiberarts Magazine. Peace silk means silk that is raised in a totally peaceful manner. "For me this means "Organically", of course, and with respect and Love. Then the moth must naturally emerge, be allowed to mate, lay her eggs and finish her life happy." -Cheryl
- Fibre content: 100% Peace silk and Certified Organic
- Source: Rural India, small family farms
- Width: 42" plus the selvage
- Weight per linear yard: 2.6oz
- Commonly used for: Light dresses, liners, blouses, shirts scarves and light drapes.
- Weft shrinkage: aprox 4%
- Warp shrinkage: aprox 4%
- Recommended care: Hand or machine wash: gentle cycle, warm water, mild soap. Tumble dry on low heat. For smoothest finish, iron from barely damp state on "wrong" side of fabric.