"Soft Spun"(meaning without violence) is a vegetarian-friendly silk from cocoons from which the moth has completed its full transformation and emerges free and happy.
This fabric's warp and weft are both smooth spun Ahimsa™ Peace silk. This silk is raised on small traditional family farms using methods consistent with organic certification and is the special Bangalore India strain. This quality of Bombyx mori cultivated silk is the only type silk correctly called "Ahimsa", with a patent issued by the Indian government.
Staple is approximately 2" and the yarns are two-ply for a soft, sparkly luster; drapey hand; and excellent durability.
Soft Spunis available in white.
Naturally dyed colors displayed for informational purposes only. Cheryl is retired from production Natural dyework. You can learn to dye these and a full range of Naturally Dyed, permanent colours yourself. Tutorials are on this website; kits are available; and the Natural Dye workbook "Brilliant Colours with Natural Dyes" which is now on sale!
- Fibre content: 100% Ahimsa TM Peace silk; long staple spun silk, plied warp and weft. Cultivated Bombyx mori, mulberry silk.
- Source: Silk raised in rural India on small family farms. Yarn is spun and fabric is woven in small mills in India. Aurora Silk is partnered with the patent holder in India.
- Width: 46”
- Weight per linear yard: 3 oz
- Commonly used for: Clothing: shirts, dresses, light weight pants, scarves, stoles, undergarments, next to body wear. Bedding: light sheets and pillowcases, sleep sacks. Other: Wall art, tie dye, painting, block or other Natural Dye printing.
- Weft (width) shrinkage: 4%
- Warp (length) shrinkage: 1%
- Recommended care: Machine wash: gentle cycle, warm water, mild soap. Tumble dry on low heat. For smoothest finish, iron from barely damp state on "wrong" side of fabric.