“Tussah” silk is wild silk. The tussah silk moths live wild in the jungles of Asia. The silk they produce is beige in colour, and is thicker fibred and sturdier than “white” or cultivated silk. The cocoons of this silk are “wild crafted”, that is, collected in the jungles after the moth has come out.
Our “Snowy” is lightly bleached to a soft off-white.
Village spun and woven on small looms, this fabric is never perfectly regular. After washing it takes on a delightfully nubbly texture. This texture invigorates the wearer with quite a different sensation than the typical smooth “silky” silk. “Snowy” is resilient enough for traveling clothes, yet soft enough for a baby blanket!
- Fibre content: 100% wild silk. Wild crafted or semi cultivated in India. The fibre is pulled out from the cocoon after the moth has emerged, and hand spun. Handwoven in villages of rural India.
- Source: India
- Width: 45″
- Weight per linear yard: ~8 oz
- Commonly used for: Everything, from clothing to interior decoration.
- Weft (width) shrinkage: 2%
- Warp (length) shrinkage:8%
- Recommended care: Machine wash: gentle cycle, warm water, mild soap. Tumble dry on low heat. For smoothest finish, iron from barely damp state on “wrong” side of fabric.