This Flannel Ahimsais often called “raw silk” in the fashion trade, the true designation of this fabric is noil silk. It is a very versatile Peace silk, spun thick and nubbly like cotton, with a matte surface and drapey hand.
This fabric crinkles into a lovely texture with water washing and tumble drying.
This substantial fabric is the closest I have found to the original “Raw Silk” that I could buy as a teenager to make silk clothes that were elegant but not shiny. Day wear as opposed to the shiny satins for evening. Solid and strong, this fabric will last a long time and is easy to care for as it’s machine washable, with no ironing needed.
- Fibre content: 100% Peace silk. Warp is spun Eri wild silk and weft is Bombyx mori Peace silk noil. Organic.
- Source: Rural India, small family farms
- Width: 46″
- Weight per linear yard: 7 oz
- Commonly used for: dresses, shirts, pants, pillows
- Weft (width) shrinkage: 6%
- Warp (length) shrinkage: 8%
- Recommended care: Machine wash: gentle cycle, warm water, mild soap. Tumble dry on low heat. For smoothest finish, iron from barely damp state on “wrong” side of fabric.