This is a standard fabric for the garment industry; available in two weights: a light-medium 12.5 momme and heavier 19 momme. A shiny satin on one side and matte crepe on the other, it is woven from conventionally raised silk that has been reeled from the cocoon. Only reeled silk can make this lustrous satin.
12.5 momme Charmeuse is commonly used for blouses, lingerie, and scarves. It is 45 inches wide
19 momme Charmeuse is the favorite weight for long gowns – the drape and swirl as one walks and moves is breathtaking. And it feels so good!
Naturally dyed colours are easy for you to acheive on these lovely satins. Examples are shown. The Beginner’s Natural Dye Kit and Cochineal Natural Dye Kit include the 12 momme charmeuse, as it is one of the very prettiest and easiest of silks to dye.
Naturally dyed colors displayed for informational purposes only. Cheryl is retired from production Natural dyework. You can learn to dye these and a full range of Naturally Dyed, permanent colours yourself. Tutorials are on this website; kits are available; and the Natural Dye workbook “Brilliant Colours with Natural Dyes” which is now on sale!
- Fibre content: 100% natural, cultivated silk, reeled filament.
- Source: China or India, as noted
- Width: 12.9 momme: 44″ ; 19 momme: 54″
- Weight per linear yard: 12.5 mm = 1 oz; 19 mm = 2.1 oz (weights are approximate)
- Commonly used for: Dresses, blouses, lingerie, scarves, gowns, drapes of all kinds.
- Weft (width) shrinkage: minimal
- Warp (length) shrinkage: ~ 2%
- Recommended care: Machine wash: gentle cycle, warm water, mild soap. Tumble dry on low heat. For smoothest finish, iron from barely damp state on “wrong” side of fabric.
- Alternate care: Hand wash and iron on wrong side. Or Dry Clean.