“Tussah” silk is wild silk. The tussah silk moths live wild in the jungles of Asia. The silk they produce is beige in colour, and is thicker fibred and sturdier than “white” or cultivated silk. The cocoons of this silk are “wild crafted”, that is, collected in the jungles after the moth has come out.
From India. Village reeled and woven on small foot-powered looms, this fabric is never perfectly regular. It crepes up into an array of sparkles as soon as it is washed. The texture invigorates the wearer with quite a different sensation than the typical smooth “silky” silk. And the incredible resiliency of the tussah fibre makes this an excellent choice for traveling clothes.
45” wide. Light beige.
4% warp ways shrinkage; 3% cross ways shrinkage. Aprox. 8 oz per linear yard. Sample has not been washed.
Fabric lightly crinkles after washing, and gets soft and lofty. Great for lightweight blankets! Also shirts, skirts and soft yoga pants. Organic, as wild crafted.
- Fibre content: 100% wild silk. Wild crafted or semi cultivated in India. The fibre is pulled out from the cocoon after the moth has emerged, and hand spun. Handwoven in villages of rural India.
- Source: India
- Width: 45″
- Weight per linear yard: ~8 oz
- Commonly used for: Everything, from clothing to interior decoration.
- Weft (width) shrinkage: 3%
- Warp (length) shrinkage:4%
- Recommended care: Machine wash: gentle cycle, warm water, mild soap. Tumble dry on low heat. For smoothest finish, iron from barely damp state on “wrong” side of fabric.